How We’re Different
There are Over Forty Ways The Green House Cottages at Poplar Grove are Different from Traditional Nursing Homes in Little Rock, Arkansas.
Respect & Dignity
- In the Green House model, our residents are called Elders.
- We emphasize quality of life, including privacy, dignity, autonomy, and emotional well-being.
- Family satisfaction – Green House families are more satisfied with the care of their loved ones than in traditional facilities.
- Elders in Green House Cottages experience lower depression rates.
- Elders in Green House Cottages also experience lower levels of helplessness versus traditional homes.
The Green House model supports Community involvement and offers a structured community-mentoring program.
- Green House Cottages promote a deep understanding of each elder, their likes and dislikes, their wants and desires.
- Elders in our Green House Cottages have unfettered access to the outdoors.
- In our Green House Cottages, the Elders have freedom of choice, including: when to wake up and when (and what) to eat.
- Our nutritional services are second to none!
- Made to order meals, prepared fresh in the home.
- Family-style dining – no Cafeteria trays.
- Elders select the menu.
- Largely eat what you want, when you want.
- Elders and family can participate in kitchen activities, including cooking.
Feels like Home
- Our cottages feel just like home, not an institution!
- No medical sign posts, no alarms, no buzzers, no med cart, no loudspeakers, no restraints.
- Green House homes represent the “pinnacle of culture change“ and are the most progressive long term care living environment in existence today.
- Technology is integrated into each Green House cottage to leverage the “world of the Internet” at the fingertips of elders, fostering engagement, and mental acuity.
- Holidays and special events are a “down-home” celebration. Christmas is Christmas. Your birthday is your birthday.
- Families come more often and stay longer. They are integrated into the elder’s life.
- Kids are always welcome – if not encouraged.
- Rather than an “artificial” activity schedule, the Green House model of care promotes a rhythmic, comfortable, natural flow reminiscent of living in all the special moments of home.
- The Green House Cottages at Poplar Grove not only encourage family participation, but they also provide a great environment to visit and even eat meals with Elders.
- Our Green House Cottages offer a spa/beauty salon for each cottage.
- All living quarters provide access to kitchen, laundry, and common areas.
More Direct Care
- A 4:1 direct care staff ratio, substantially more than the State/Federal average.
- Meaningful engagement – we have four times the number of meaningful, one to one engagement between elders and direct care workers than traditional nursing homes.
- We offer 75% more direct care staff than the average nursing home in Arkansas.
Experienced and Trained Staff
- Each of our staff members will have at least 120 hours of extra training for elder care in the green house model.
- Rich relationships with caregivers, other elders, and their families are formed and become the foundational part of a quality life.
- Job satisfaction – Green House staff members are more satisfied with their jobs and more likely to stay longer at those jobs.
- Green House Cottages have decreased staff turnover rates.
- The Green House Cottages promote empowered staff by providing continuous education and ongoing training development.
Superior Outcomes for Therapy and Rehabilitation
- The Green House Cottages at Poplar Grove will offer sub-specialized cottages such as orthopedics, cardiopulmonary, and sepsis.
- What better way to rehab from hospital to home than in a home with functional rehabilitation.
- We have the ability to imitate, not simulate, your everyday activities.
- Our therapy ratio is 1:1.
- The Green House Cottages model of care has shown readmission rates of less than 1%, while traditional institutional settings can be 18% and higher.
- The average length of stay for short-term rehab in a Green House Cottage is around 19 days; traditional is 28.
- Green House Cottages have lower infection rates.
- The Green House Cottage model offers better elder outcomes compared to traditional nursing homes.
- The Green House Cottages of Poplar Grove offers customized rehab programs with a holistic approach to care.